Monday, February 16, 2009

Project 3- Graphic Animal




The first step in my process was to research lady bug pictures on the Internet and print them out. I then did some hand drawn sketches of the different pictures that I printed out. Next I tried scanning my images so I could load them into to Adobe Illustrator but I ended up having some technical difficulties with my scanner so I ended up picking one of my drawings and recreating it using Corel Draw.

Ladybugs are perfectly symmetrical with equal spots on both their elytra, which are the hard shell wing covers that are usually red, orange or yellow. Sometimes there is a spot that is spread over both wing covers which is evident in my drawing. They also have symmetrical spots on the area behind their head, this is called the pronotum. I have included four on my drawing.

To ensure that my drawing was symmetrical I drew one side of the wing cover and then copied and rotated horizontally. I then put them together to form the two wing covers of the lady bug. I also created my spots for one side and then copied and pasted then flipped horizontally.
The most challenging part of this assignment was drawing in general. I am no artist when it comes to hand drawing animals so I was a bit intimidated by that because I like to have a awesome final product and I knew that I was going to have trouble drawing. Once I printed out images to review as I drew that made it a lot easier but of course drawing a lady bug is not exactly hard compared to drawing a more in depth creature.
Overall I do like my final image. I wish that I could draw better legs but I am pleased with the lady bugs head because at least it looks like she has little bug eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment